Of the widely reported COVID related fatalities in the United States, only 6% list COVID as the “only cause” of death. In the remaining 94% of cases, COVID is just one of up to two or three other causes or conditions that lead to death. These figures were
After a month of banning residents from attending Anchorage Assembly meetings in person, Assembly Chair Felix Rivera announced on Aug. 31 that the chambers will be reopened to the public but only under strict conditions that include compulsory facemasks and
Beginning Monday, Aug. 31, Anchorage area churches will be allowed to open at 50% capacity. This is up from the 15-person limit which had been in effect for the past month. Mayor Ethan Berkowitz announced the pending changes during his weekly press briefing
Yet another prominent Anchorage church has chosen to remain open for communal worship in the face of Mayor Ethan Berkowitz’s latest emergency order limiting all religious gatherings to 15 people or less. Cornerstone Church was open for Sunday worship on
Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz might not be able to use federal CARES Act funds to purchase homeless shelters after all. On Aug. 12, just one day after the Anchorage Assembly voted to grant the mayor authority to buy four properties in Anchorage, the
Several hundred energized protesters gathered outside the Anchorage Assembly chambers on Tuesday night, including former Mayor Dan Sullivan and several state legislators. Demonstrators expressed frustration and anger at Mayor Ethan Berkowitz and many of the
Anchorage Baptist Temple is standing up to Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz’s latest emergency order that bans churches from having more than 15 people in attendance. On Sunday, Aug. 9, Pastor Ron Hoffman gave an inspired sermon to a large gathering inside
Two Anchorage restaurants, Kriner’s Diner and Litter Dipper, both remained open on Saturday, Aug. 8, amid growing sanctions from Mayor Ethan Berkowitz’s administration. The diners have become a rallying point for local residents who are fed up with
In what is becoming a high-stakes court case in Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz’s effort to close down all restaurants to indoor dining, the initial presiding judge recused herself at the start of the opening hearing on Aug. 6. A few hours later the case
Another Anchorage restaurant is planning to open for indoor dining soon, joining a growing movement of cafes and restaurants that are defying Mayor Ethan Berkowitz’s ban on all indoor dining. “We can’t open right now because we just don’t have enough
The Alaska Watchman aims to raise awareness of key issues affecting Alaskans. Coming from a broadly Judeo-Christian perspective, we are committed to the highest standards of journalism and ethical reporting.
Our reports look to inform and equip Alaskans to effectively engage the culture for the common good. Please keep your comments respectful.